Originally Posted on National Retailer Association on 04/06/18:
While customer journey mapping and experience are all the rage at the moment, how to create these magic moments in-store is more elusive.
In my experience, the real force multiplier for brick and mortar stores comes from tapping into our own emotional and human needs – Humanics.
Tapping into human needs
Humanics is about identifying deep emotional, values and human needs. Not just the needs of your ‘customer’…. your target….a segment….but rather the emotional person.
However, how we distil and then apply these humanistic needs and then bring them to life is the crucial step to create ‘magic moments’ for customers in-store.
Experiment With Purpose Driven Events In-Store
In 2010, I was searching for a way to bring a Jamie Oliver campaign to life in my 2500sqm, home electrical store. We had spent (as one of 90+ franchisee’s) a great deal of money to partner with Jamie’s, Ministry of Food.
So, when our head office came up with traditional advertising (catalogues, TVC’s,etc.) in-store point of sale, blogs and a few ‘meet and greets’, I felt a bit let down.
Personally, I’m inspired by Jamie’s message. It was this very ‘inspiration’ that fueled me to create a local movement of what Jamie was fighting for. It also then triggered a string of other social ‘experiments’ I would run inside my store for the next three years.
We hosted media launches, staff cooking competitions, customer classes and experiences all inside our store. It was my first insight into the power of events with a purpose and using them to create magic moments for customers.
These experiments produced an outpouring of interest and engagement in our community. Bringing in new customers, advocates, increased our visitation, sales and our staff really loved it too.
Looking beyond our own commercial desires opens more meaningful human needs and values like;
• inspiration – how can we take action on something important
• freedom – how can we spark the spirit of choice
• identity – help facilitate a group of people ‘like me’
• creation – provoke the creators to put their mark on your brand
“The reason it seems that price is all your customers care about is that you haven’t given them anything else to care about.” – Seth Godin
Here’s my home cooked recipe for creating ‘magic moments’ at events in your store;
– It’s a special Human-to-Human event, taking place inside your store
– The entire event is ALL ABOUT the Attendee’s, from start to finish – not about you or sales goals
– Its purpose is super-easy to communicate and share socially
– It creates advocacy and sharing – your RSVP list(s) will have multiple surnames and referrals to family and friends
– It’s all about creating community and cause first – it’s also a niche community you are reaching out to.
Within the four walls of our stores, we have more control over the experiences our customers have. So, why not engineer experiences that are inspirational, meaningful and memorable to our special people – our local customers.
Customers may forget the last discount you gave them or your recent ad campaign, but they’ll never forget how you made them feel at an event inside your store.
Keep Experimenting, Amy
For more ideas on creating Magic Moments see my FREE download on Increasing Your Visitation.